Marketing

This section is all about the business side of screen printing. This may include but is not limited to business procedures, marketing and advertising, return or misprint policies, customer relations and pricing. Basically anything that has to do with the business side of screen printing.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

blacktalon
Screen Trooper

Marketing

Post by blacktalon »

Here is something every screen printer has to do regardless of experience and that is marketing.

Whether or not you want to make just enough to get by on or you want to make it big you always have to put your self out there for the world to see....

There are several ways to market and you will want to use all of them

Always carry your business cards around with you. you never know when you will need them... Trust me there were a few times when I didn't have mine on me and I lost the chance at a couple of jobs.

as a screen printer you are always checking out the competition in your area because 90% of the time their work is always on display through their clients. Never be afraid to go up to a business owner and ask them who makes their shirts and 9 times out of 10 their first question is Why? all you have to do is tell them that you screen print as well at which time they will almost always ask you for a card and ask you how much per shirt. so make sure that you have a base charge and minimum price and then let them know that for your minimum price per shirt is based on a, lets say, 12 shirt minimum and whatever your charge is per screen. Once they have this information and the price is right to them they will always make calls to compare. Another thing to help get jobs is when talking, always wear some of your work so the potential client can see your work first hand almost always a deal sealer.

Word of mouth has always been a tried and true method for getting your name out there so as long as you do a professional job your clients will always recommend you. Now word-of-mouth cna and will make or break a company.

Cold calling is an effective way to market your business but it is time consuming and you will get a lot of hang ups because of the telemarketing industry. Not the best choice so if you can avoid it please do..

Now direct mail is a very effective way to market and can be a little costly but does produce better results.. you know the old saying " you have to spend money to Make money" this is very true... what I like to do is I had out my business card and a mouse pad when I approach a potential client... they are most likely to use the mouse pad so your company name and number will always be right in front of them.

The Bottom Line is, your professionalism, your product quality, your production time and your pricing will determine how your business will rise or fall...
The Bottom Line is, your professionalism, your product quality, your production time and your pricing will determine how your business will rise or fall...
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Marketing

Post by Catspit Productions »

Excellent suggestions; I always carry my business cards wherever I go. Even when they don’t fit in my pocket well I’ll figure a way to take them along for the ride. I love your suggestion about talking to people who have printed business shirts on when they go out and about. That is a great idea because you are right; the first thing they will ask is why are you asking and bam! There’s your queue.

And I couldn’t say enough about word of mouth. You hit on all very good points here. Thanks for taking the time to write this up and post. We all appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

Word of mouth is definitely how I am getting almost all of my business. Thankfully I have had some understanding customers when I have messed up but I have always done my best to make it right and go above and beyond. Have several repeat customers already at my small level. I am starting to use social media and all that but mostly word of mouth has been where folks have found me. Thanks again for another great post.
blacktalon
Screen Trooper

Post by blacktalon »

here is something that I do and it seems to work out quite well for me...

I like to make sample shirts with my logo and information on the sleeve and hand them out to friends... My friends have even asked me if I would put a design on the front and my logo on the back... I do several variations but I always get calls for shirts...

I actually have one person who will let me know what the kids are wearing these days around here and I end up making the shirts that are popular and sell at the flea market...

It doesn't matter what I do or where I am at the second I mention that I print shirts I am always asked for a card or called back to an office and end up with a client... If a business can save money and get quality shirts they will jump at the chance so never be afraid to let people know that you print shirts because the jobs are out there....
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

Very good ideas on this post! thnks for sahring guys! what has worked for me is using my t shirts and keeping my business cards always with me :) and for me, a "virtual" t shirt sample works great! it just seals the business, no matter the price (sometimes) :)
Ochtees
Senior Screen Printer

Post by Ochtees »

I've used google places a lot. It actually does drive some traffic. I'm currently on YP.com and very dissapointed. Hardly no. Traffic at all.
Cody Ochsenbine
Custom & Blank T-Shirts
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

Ochtees wrote: I'm currently on YP.com and very dissapointed. Hardly no. Traffic at all.
That's interesting, despite it supposed to be a great way to promote your business, hearing at your experience with it, we must think twice before going for it uh! besides I think it's also expensive or isn't?
Ochtees
Senior Screen Printer

Post by Ochtees »

Yeah I pay $140 a month.
Cody Ochsenbine
Custom & Blank T-Shirts
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

Ochtees wrote:Yeah I pay $140 a month.
Wow!! yeah it is a lot $ ! :o
Ochtees
Senior Screen Printer

Post by Ochtees »

ppdlao wrote:
Ochtees wrote:Yeah I pay $140 a month.
Wow!! yeah it is a lot $ ! :o

Yeah I called my rep because of the lack of response. Well they had me under "screen printing" which is right but they said they have a "custom t-shirt" category too. Well duh!!! So they are going to put me in both to see if it helps.
Cody Ochsenbine
Custom & Blank T-Shirts