Pricing on a per shirt Job

This section is all about the business side of screen printing. This may include but is not limited to business procedures, marketing and advertising, return or misprint policies, customer relations and pricing. Basically anything that has to do with the business side of screen printing.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

blacktalon
Screen Trooper

Re: Pricing on a per shirt Job

Post by blacktalon »

nswpr wrote:Hey very nice and teachable post... I was wondering if you uploaded the picture of your work space like you said. I have a 10' by 10' room too and maybe I can get some ideas from yours. Thanks bro!
Yes I am working on that as we speak... I have to get a new digital camera so in the next day or so I will post and photo of my work space...lol... I have been so busy with articales and such that I completely forgot... Thank You for reminding me.... :D
The Bottom Line is, your professionalism, your product quality, your production time and your pricing will determine how your business will rise or fall...
OffsetnScreen
Senior Screen Printer

Post by OffsetnScreen »

Quoting a per shirt or per job price is a challenge for this newbie. Lately it seems that the potential customer asks, "How much can you do me some shirts for?" They really want to know, "How CHEAP can you print me some shirts for?". Then, they dont tell you all the particulars that you need to accurately quote the job such as, long sleve, pockets or no pockets, one sided or two sided, size of the image, how many colors are involved with the image whether it is a spot color or a full color job. Then, they want to see a smple of the shirt and expect you to have samples with you of each brand , color, and size, and fabric type. Lately, I have asked, when the artwork will be supplied, to see the artwork first before I give a firm quote.
Concerning an earlier post in this thread, 20 buks per screen would be the LEAST amount I would charge after considering the time and materials it takes to properly coat, expose and wash the screen. Plastisol transfers become a viable option although they don't give them away either. This is my newest silkscreen frustration, being able to accurately quote the job and make a few bucks, but it is never based upon how much I intend to make that month....peace
Casams
Squeegee Master

Post by Casams »

I operate utilizing a business model that requires that I present estimates on a moments notice. I was forced to create an estimation spread sheet. When the blanks are filled in the spread sheet automatically calculates the total job costs.

The first factor in creating a spread sheet is determining your costs of operation. You need to document rent, utilities, transportation etcetera. The next factor is to determine the number of hours you will work each week then project the figure to a full month (4.3 times hours/week). Set these numbers up on the spread sheet so that your hourly costs are established. This will all be done automatically on the spread sheet after the spread sheet has been compiled. I recommend periodically verifying the accuracy of the monthly costs. I usually do this once a quarter. In this way increases can have adjustments made so that the calculation always represents "real world" data. This first spread sheet data will produce an hourly figure that your labor must exceed in order to create a profit for the business.

The next spread sheet page requires establishing a break down of all the elements that go into a job. Don't skip anything. By filling in the information the spread sheet will kick out a total figure. May I suggest that you separate screen printing from the product cost. You need an estimate to be the cost for completing the job all chemicals and labor to be separate from the cost of the shirts. Whatever shirt is added into the mix you can include in your overall total.

By creating a complete spread sheet this calculation can be done quickly and easily. It can even be performed by employees without your input. I am frequently on the road away from the warehouse requiring others to do estimation as needed. Utilizing a spread sheet makes it possible for anyone to estimate jobs confidently.
Danqmen

Post by Danqmen »

I have learned so many things from these posts! Before starting a screen printing company, planners must see this!
Really great !
Danial Qamen
Southern Ad Embroidered Work Jackets
Greenville, South Carolina
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Danqmen wrote:I have learned so many things from these posts! Before starting a screen printing company, planners must see this!
Really great !
Thanks! And welcome aboard. Glad you took the time to join. I appreciate the support. Good luck!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
nekkron99
Squeegee Master

Post by nekkron99 »

Casams wrote:I operate utilizing a business model that requires that I present estimates on a moments notice. I was forced to create an estimation spread sheet. When the blanks are filled in the spread sheet automatically calculates the total job costs.

The first factor in creating a spread sheet is determining your costs of operation. You need to document rent, utilities, transportation etcetera. The next factor is to determine the number of hours you will work each week then project the figure to a full month (4.3 times hours/week). Set these numbers up on the spread sheet so that your hourly costs are established. This will all be done automatically on the spread sheet after the spread sheet has been compiled. I recommend periodically verifying the accuracy of the monthly costs. I usually do this once a quarter. In this way increases can have adjustments made so that the calculation always represents "real world" data. This first spread sheet data will produce an hourly figure that your labor must exceed in order to create a profit for the business.

The next spread sheet page requires establishing a break down of all the elements that go into a job. Don't skip anything. By filling in the information the spread sheet will kick out a total figure. May I suggest that you separate screen printing from the product cost. You need an estimate to be the cost for completing the job all chemicals and labor to be separate from the cost of the shirts. Whatever shirt is added into the mix you can include in your overall total.

By creating a complete spread sheet this calculation can be done quickly and easily. It can even be performed by employees without your input. I am frequently on the road away from the warehouse requiring others to do estimation as needed. Utilizing a spread sheet makes it possible for anyone to estimate jobs confidently.
I created a spreadsheet much like this for my vinyl estimates. I am in the process of creating one for screen printing now that I've added that to the mix. Great post! I'm kind of an Excell dork. :geek: