How Much Does A Heat Press Cost?

This forum is the place to discuss the heat presses themselves. Do you have a question about heat presses? Do you want to share your favorite heat press? Would you like to post a heat press review? This is the place.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Catspit Productions
Site Admin

How Much Does A Heat Press Cost?

Post by Catspit Productions »

Heat presses can cost anywhere from $200 to over $1000 depending on the size, make and features you want on the press. I sell RiCOMA heat presses. They are a great value and balance function with quality nicely. You can check out the specs on my Equipment Sales page of the Catspit website.

http://www.catspitproductionsllc.com/ri ... pment.html

I think the most important thing to consider after what type of heat press you want and what features you want it to have would be what size to get. Just remember, you can only heat press a transfer that will fit into your heat press. So make sure to buy a heat press big enough for the transfers you want to do.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
sdbordeaux
Screen Trooper

Re: How Much Does A Heat Press Cost?

Post by sdbordeaux »

I would like to add a few things to this thread with regard to shopping for a new heat press and things to look for.

First...a good heat press should have an over-the-center pressure adjustment. This will ensure that even pressure is being applied across the substrate. Also, a "floating" upper platen is a huge plus.

Second...digital timer. This will ensure that the proper time is being applied the transfer.

Third...digital temp readout.

Fourth...pressure gauge. The three "pillars" to any sucessful heat applied transfer are Temp, Time, and Pressure. Every material requires different temp, dwell time, and pressure. Not all substrates are good "candidates" for every application. Know your material and substrates before you begin production.

Lastly...auto open. This is unnecessary but is a very nice feature to have. Once the timer hits zero, the press automatically opens. This frees up your hands to prep the next transfer and/or makes it so you don't have to "babysit" your press should the phone ring or a customer walk in your shop.

My 2 cents...when shopping for a press, get the 16x20 press if at all possible in your budget. While it may not be needed for every job, this will open you up to taking on any job that walks through your doors. It is especially nice to have when doing 2XL...3XL...4XL substrates. As with anything...you pretty much get what you pay for...so buyer beware...be educated...be sure before you buy.

I hope this helps someone :)
Sean
Owner, Overhemd, LLC

Roland GX24, Hotronix 16x20 Auto open, CorelDraw x5, Cut Studio 1.5, WinPCSIGN PRO 2012
Casams
Squeegee Master

Re: How Much Does A Heat Press Cost?

Post by Casams »

I own two heat presses, a Fusion Hotronix and the Hotronix cap press. The advantage with these presses are the changeable platens. The presses are designed to easily allow a platen change based on the size of the transfer. Also, with transfers time, pressure, and heat are very important. I do a lot of work with nylon garments. Without having accurate control of all three factors I could easily damage the nylon and polyester products.

Utilizing a heat press on nylon mandates accurate control of temperature. There are transfers available that can adhere to nylons utilizing temperatures as low as 275 degrees. At this temperature there is no worry about damaging the garment. Many of the cheaper heat presses do NOT possess the ability to control temperature, pressure close enough without damaging nylon garments.

The ability to change out platens is extremely handy. Also, with the small platens you are able to get into areas that would otherwise not be possible. Many products cannot be screen printed without using a transfer and a heat press. The platen change out feature is like having several machines in one. There are also several cap designs with size changes. A cap press with multiple platens allow you to print on any cap size design.

I screen print whenever the quantity of the order is sufficient for the set-up labor. When the order is a single item or less that 12 I will always use the heat press. Having the ability to do ultra small orders is beneficial. Often a small business owner will order one or two shirts to test your quality. Later they often come back to order larger quantities that are best screen printed.