Nearl;y ready to go but just a couple of questions.

This forum is the place to discuss the heat presses themselves. Do you have a question about heat presses? Do you want to share your favorite heat press? Would you like to post a heat press review? This is the place.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Krenzathal
Screen Trooper

Nearl;y ready to go but just a couple of questions.

Post by Krenzathal »

Hi,

I've finally got my heat press and some Kisscut transfer paper and my pigment ink is on the way.

I have a few questions though. My heat press looks impressive but it came with a single sheet of paper as documentation and is not very clear. There is a loose rubber pad that sits on the bottom plate and I was wondering if this should be removed or not as it does not say anywhere on the sheet of paper what it's purpose is.

I assume it is to stay as the clamp does not fully close without it but I would just like to make sure.

Also on the subject of printing to dark garments. Is the issue only if you have white in your image? I would like to print some designs that are just one colour red onto a dark t-shirt and I don't see how this would be a problem but again just to make sure.

Thanks
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Nearl;y ready to go but just a couple of questions.

Post by ApeShirt »

The silicone pad stays on the press. Also, white is the only issue if you're doing inkjet transfers as they don't make white printer inks to print on the regular transfer paper. You can get around this by using opaque transfer paper made for dark garments. Personally I haven't tried it but they are available. You're good to go with other colors, such as the red on standard transfer paper. Now, you can do plastisol transfers with white ink. Feel free to post a picture of the final product.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Krenzathal
Screen Trooper

Post by Krenzathal »

That's great thanks!
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Okay I moved this into the heat transfer section. I agree with Greg but some colors may show up on some shirts and others won’t. The colors for digital inkjet, laser and sublimation transfers lack the opacity to show up brightly on dark shirts. So if you did say a bright red with the Kisscut inkjet inks then press it onto a black tee the red will be muted. It may not show up well at all.

You can get away with some colors on certain colored shirts. Like ash or athletic grays can take some colors as you suggest and look pretty good. But black will reject the most. So you can experiment with naturals, light browns, light blues, light yellows, tans and so on. But when the garment gets very dark like navy blue, purple, maroon, red or black, standard laser or inkjet as well as sublimation transfers will not show up well if at all.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
RhinoTech
Instructor

Post by RhinoTech »

Hope this fits with the question, but you can also print on black using a red foil that will make the print stand out. That happens by using SingleStep ™ transfer paper (don't know of other papers that will do the same). Something like this image: [img]
IMG_1670.jpg
[/img]

RT