2 color logo

This is the place to talk about what it takes to get started. This would include what equipment to buy, space requirements, electrical needs and anything related to getting ready to begin screen printing. Have a question regarding what it takes to screen print tee shirts? Please post them here...

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

wahlturfcare
Screen Trooper

2 color logo

Post by wahlturfcare »

I have been wanting to dable with doing my own work shirts for awhile as I have friends and customers who ask for shirts all the time.
I was wondering though, My logo for the left front chast area has a green outline around the white lettering on the inside. To ink it , would I start out with coloring it all white and then come in after with the green after flash drying the white, or would it be eaiser to just lay down to different colors seperately?
The shirts are all orange or light brown.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: 2 color logo

Post by ApeShirt »

Personally, I would do all white and then the green on top. It's definitely necessary if you are not using HO inks. Plus, it may make it easier to register.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
wahlturfcare
Screen Trooper

Post by wahlturfcare »

Since im new to this, what brand of paint works the best? Also, is there a way to post a picture of my logo on here to show how it looks?
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

There is no one ink brand that works best. There are different inks for different applications. In your case a high opacity white with a high opacity green as ApeShirt suggested would make things easy as far as coverage on a dark garment.

You can make the green over print the white under base by a half a line point to make registration a snap.

You should see some tabs below the text box when writing a post. There is an “Upload Attachment” tab and that is where you can upload images to the forum.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
wahlturfcare
Screen Trooper

Post by wahlturfcare »

heres the logo. would it be possible to draw out the green outer design onto tranparency paper using a permanent marker or paint and still have it show up onto the screen? that way i have the white lettering on a screen, and then the green outer circle instead of doing a 2 color overlay.
Attachments
WahlTurfCarelogo[1].jpg
wahlturfcare
Screen Trooper

Post by wahlturfcare »

oh yea, the trees will be in all one color instead of 2 different greens.
wahlturfcare
Screen Trooper

Post by wahlturfcare »

heres a picture of the first shirt I did. the ink faded out on the lettering in spots. and in a couple spots i can tell the shirts moved alittle. I plan on using these orange shirts as the background color mostly.
I used a speedball wooded frame for a trial. Would upgrading to a different mesh count make a difference in the quality? also, I am using speedball inks.
Attachments
100_1167.JPG
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Using permanent markers and the like on transparencies is not the best method. You may be able to get it to work but the marker tends to leave areas of varying opacity and the same could occur with a brush and paint. The idea is to make a very dense, opaque film positive so the exposure light will not pass through the film positive in the design areas.

An inkjet film positive is the best solution. I would scan the art and bring it into a vector graphic handling software and then output to film.

If you make both trees the same green there will be no delineation for the darker green tree and it will look bad. I would put a 2 point white outline stroke on the dark green tree so that when it is printed as one color it will have an outline defining that tree.

I don’t understand your question about the separation. You will need to put the green on one screen and the white on another. This does not look like a design you could do 2 colors on one screen with. Stroking the green around the white would be a challenge.

A good tight metal screen with a 110 mesh would easily do this design. Sometimes having the right tools and supplies can make or break you on press. Use a proper squeegee as well with a better ink perhaps. Then you’ll need to make sure the ink is cured correctly for wash safeness.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions