what to buy next?

This is the place to talk about what it takes to get started. This would include what equipment to buy, space requirements, electrical needs and anything related to getting ready to begin screen printing. Have a question regarding what it takes to screen print tee shirts? Please post them here...

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

drew
Senior Screen Printer

what to buy next?

Post by drew »

I just need a few opinions on what I should purchase next for my shop. We are growing pretty quick and want to offer more options to our customers but my production rate is slowed way down by not having a conveyor dryer. We are considering adding either a vinyl cutter/heat press to add sports teams to our client list or we could purchase a small conveyor to help with production time. We have never missed a deadline on an order but curing with a flash dryer is very inconsistent and quality is very important to me. Heat press/vinyl cutter is value added and conveyor is quality/time added. Oh, and its sports time in Tennessee and I don't want to miss out on another season of uniforms. My brother/business partner wants the vinyl cutter, I want conveyor. Lol.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: what to buy next?

Post by Catspit Productions »

I think here I would recommend perfecting what you have before taking on new endeavors. If you’re already screen printing and a belt dryer would increase quality and speed up costs then it should be an easy decision.

By speeding up production you lower costs and increase profits per hour. Then with a proper cure you will never have any issues with returned garments, customer issues and bad word of mouth. You want your product to be 100% and have your personal guarantee to its wash safeness.

That’s how I would look at it. Get up to speed with what you are doing and then move on to new things. Flash curing is not the greatest scenario for a shop that wants to take as many jobs as possible while ensuring a quality product.

It can work and it does for many but it is at the very least time consuming as you noted.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

I'd go with a conveyor dryer first. I had a plotter and heat press before I got a conveyor dryer but having a conveyor dryer is a huge time saver. And time is money :D You could also just get a heat press before a plotter and buy your letters and/or numbers from someone else. Stahl's is a good place for that. Or you could do plastisol transfers yourself. Again, having a conveyor dryer makes that quick if you do transfers yourself. Look around for an used conveyor dryer if you must. I bought my 8' for $400 and a new belt for $150 and it has saved me countless hours compared to curing with a flash dryer. Imagine getting that call for an order of 500 shirts and you have to cure them all with a flash dryer. That would be brutal.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
drew
Senior Screen Printer

Post by drew »

Thank you Jonathan and Greg. I want the conveyor and I assumed that's what the responses would be :-) it really is limiting me using a flash to the point I can't go looking for new business until I'm done with current order. That's no good at all. I work a full time night shift job and do screen printing during the day so time is very important to me. Lol. I definitely am on a tight budget for a conveyor but have to spend money to make money I guess. I definitely will look for a used one. Thanks again guys.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

You’re very welcome! My pleasure to help out. Sounds like you’re hustling pretty hard there and could use a break with the belt dryer ;)

Greg has some great tips and advice there. Thanks Greg!!

Let us know if you have any questions on what you look at. Your local Craigslist is a good place to start. Backpage sometimes has stuff too. Some people are willing to ship used stuff as well so you may look at surrounding areas especially if you could still pick up yourself. A little drive could save a few bucks on shipping.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions