New member help :)

This is the place to talk about what it takes to get started. This would include what equipment to buy, space requirements, electrical needs and anything related to getting ready to begin screen printing. Have a question regarding what it takes to screen print tee shirts? Please post them here...

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Christian-1974
Screen Trooper

New member help :)

Post by Christian-1974 »

Hi all my name is Christian I am new to these forums and also very new to screen printing, before I ask my questions I would like to thank you Jonathan for the excellent YOU TUBE video lessons you have created for us all they are by far the best source online I have found to learn this craft, you have a very good teaching style easy clear and you also make it fun my hat is off to you thankyou :)

I have a couple of questions, might be silly this one but hey i'm a noob, I know obviously that the platen size relates to the size of your garment and print size but does your platen also determine the size of your screen :? lol confused myself, basically I have been given some large screens a fair bit bigger than the largest platen I own would the overhang of the screen affect printing in any way.

Next question is emulsion I have also been given some saati chemicals / saatigraf hs3 emulsion does anyone else use this and if so could I have a rough idea on some exposure times I use a 500 watt halogen lamp , THANKYOU :)
Christian-1974
Screen Trooper

Re: New member help :)

Post by Christian-1974 »

Hello ?.....
drew
Senior Screen Printer

Post by drew »

Welcome to the forum :-) I don't think the screen size will affect the print if you can keep your off contact set. The width of a screen is no issue , the length can be. If your pallet can move out far enough to put a off contact tab on the bottom/end of the screen so it rests on the pallet while printing, that's great. If the pallet can't move out that far, I usually find something around my shop to tape across the bottom of the screen for support that does rest on the end of the pallet. I'm sure there is a better way but that works for me.
Christian-1974
Screen Trooper

Post by Christian-1974 »

Awesome, nice one Drew thanks, I didn't think it would be a problem just wanted to check :)
Christian-1974
Screen Trooper

Post by Christian-1974 »

Any ideas on the emulsion anyone ?
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Okay let me first say thanks for the kind words of support. I appreciate your letting me know how much you enjoy my video work. Sorry it took me a while to get on here to respond. I have been working on some projects at the Catspit homestead which I hope will ultimately lead me to a supplies storefront. Sometimes I forget to check the forum.

I need to set a reminder for this ;)

Yes, the screens size is not necessarily affected by the pallet size under ideal circumstances. Like drew said proper off contact would have the screen off the substrate surface when in the print position. A larger screen may cause more flexing of the print arm requiring you to use the screen angle adjustment to compensate or use a shim like drew does.

The Saatigraf emulsions are made for graphic printing and exposures using a computer to screen imaging system for positives. Those are photopolymer emulsions. There is also Grafic HS emulsion that is a dual cure. So the Saatigraf should be very fast and the Grafic HS is much slower in exposure times.

Maybe we should ask Saati for an assist here as I am unfamiliar with those emulsions.

Welcome to the forum, thanks for signing up. I appreciate the support.

I just figured out how to set multiple reminders on my tablet :)
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Christian-1974
Screen Trooper

Post by Christian-1974 »

Thanks Jonathan really appreciated.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

My pleasure!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Saati
Instructor

Post by Saati »

Christian-1974 wrote:Hi all my name is Christian I am new to these forums and also very new to screen printing, before I ask my questions I would like to thank you Jonathan for the excellent YOU TUBE video lessons you have created for us all they are by far the best source online I have found to learn this craft, you have a very good teaching style easy clear and you also make it fun my hat is off to you thankyou :)

I have a couple of questions, might be silly this one but hey i'm a noob, I know obviously that the platen size relates to the size of your garment and print size but does your platen also determine the size of your screen :? lol confused myself, basically I have been given some large screens a fair bit bigger than the largest platen I own would the overhang of the screen affect printing in any way.

Next question is emulsion I have also been given some saati chemicals / saatigraf hs3 emulsion does anyone else use this and if so could I have a rough idea on some exposure times I use a 500 watt halogen lamp , THANKYOU :)
The HS3 is one of our formulas used across the pond. With that being said I am not 100% positive on the speed of it. But if history proves usefull you should be in the 5 min range on a white 110tpi.