This is the place to talk about what it takes to get started. This would include what equipment to buy, space requirements, electrical needs and anything related to getting ready to begin screen printing. Have a question regarding what it takes to screen print tee shirts? Please post them here...

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

bbmfab
Screen Trooper

Post by bbmfab »

ok first off I am a metal fabricator and own my own shop, so this stuff is all new to me, watched tons of catspit videos and love them!!!!! i almost feel like i know what i am doing, below are pics of some stuff i picked up a couple weeks ago, riley hopkins 6 color 4 station press, black flash dryer and the cart its mounted to converts into a screen exposure box, also got a heat press, a few colors and chemicals, lots of foil stuff and contact sheets, emulsion spreader, squeegees, came with only one screen i got everything for 200 bucks and from what i can tell thats a pretty good deal, everything on the press works, spins nice and smooth, not sure how old it is, the only thing i dont have is a dryer, is flash drying good enough or what do i do without having a dryer, did i get a good deal on all this stuff? is it decent enough to start a little business?

ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: newbie

Post by ApeShirt »

First, welcome to the forum and to the world of screen printing. Wow, $200 is a steal. Any one of those items cost more than $200 brand new. One order can easily pay for all that. Yes, you can use the flash dryer to cure shirts. It's just not as efficient as a conveyor dryer. You may also find yourself having to reposition it over the substrate in order to ensure the whole image is cured properly.
Shoot, even if the press doesn't hold registration very well you could knock out just single color prints that don't require a flash or multi-color that doesn't require tight registration and you'll still come out ahead very quickly.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
bbmfab
Screen Trooper

Post by bbmfab »

thanks! i figured for 200 i couldnt go wrong!! i was looking around and didnt see anywhere near a deal that good! just got some aluminum screens in the mail yesterday and have some emulsion on the way so I am just about ready to ruin a few old shirts before i buy some new ones!!
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

Wow, awesome pick up there! I currently use a flash dryer to cure and have for about a year. You need to get an infrared temp gun ASAP...you can get those at the big box home improvement stores no problem, probably $30-50 depending on the brand. Mine is a Ryobi from Home Depot and I believe it was $40. That will be essential to be able to properly cure with the flash, it has saved me from a lot of headaches and no single complaints of designs washing out from under cure out of the near 500 shirts I have probably done so far with the flash. Curing with the flash is not ideal but it gets the job done. The biggest thing for me is it slows down production but until I can get a conveyor it does the trick! :) Be sure to let us know what other questions you have, this is a great community of new and experienced printers we can all learn from each other!
bbmfab
Screen Trooper

Post by bbmfab »

thanks for the info !! i have watched tons of the videos and looked through the forum for hours!! I think I can do this!!
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

You CAN do this! I was in the same boat just a few short years ago and have grown a ton by continuing to learn, watch Jon's videos and just taking on jobs and going after it! Never Give Up! :)
Shamax
Master Screen Printer

Post by Shamax »

You can definitely do this. I'm sure I'm walking proof that almost anyone can, if you're determined to learn and not afraid to make some pretty humorous mistakes along the way :lol:
Andy Barker
Owner/Operator of Fragile Branch
Store: http://fragilebranch.storenvy.com
Site/blog: http://www.fragilebranch.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FragileBranch