Coating a screen?

This is the place to talk about what it takes to get started. This would include what equipment to buy, space requirements, electrical needs and anything related to getting ready to begin screen printing. Have a question regarding what it takes to screen print tee shirts? Please post them here...

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

jokingscroll

Coating a screen?

Post by jokingscroll »

I'm just wondering does it matter how I coat a screen with my scoop coater meaning do I coat it from length top to bottom or width top to bottom
Free Man
Senior Screen Printer

Re: Coating a screen?

Post by Free Man »

Sounds like me. I bought a bunch of used stuff, and had odd size screens and scoop coaters. No, I dont think that matters, but im sure catspit will chime in and say so for sure. Although if you quote both sides, you want to do the inside (squeegee side last) and when you rack it to dry the (what do they call it?...I think substrate side) T-shirt side should be facing down. Be sure not to put emulsion on too thick like I have done before. You'll end up with it trying to drip and get all these lil dry bumps. A manufacturer told me that refrigerating emulsion can extend the shelf life, so before i quote I let it get to room temp and stir it well, which helps not to be too thick. Another trick I like to do is write the date on the container when I use it. I use dual cure which is more forgiving but has a shorter use life. Eventually, I'll be busy enough not to worry about how old a lil container of emulsion is, haha. Good luck, I hope this info. helps a bit. Im still learning too.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

You can coat either way. Just be sure you don't overlap coats in order to coat the area you need coated. That can lead to problems as you will get an uneven coat. Scoop coaters come in different sizes so if you want to coat "sideways" you should buy a longer scoop coater.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

I agree with Apeshirt ;)

And Free Man is correct too. As long as you end up with a smooth even coat without overlapping you're good to go.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions