Ideas for an outside temporary washout booth???

This is the place to talk about what it takes to get started. This would include what equipment to buy, space requirements, electrical needs and anything related to getting ready to begin screen printing. Have a question regarding what it takes to screen print tee shirts? Please post them here...

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Ideas for an outside temporary washout booth???

Post by Leadfoot »

Until I have my shop built (at least a year away-boo!) I have to drag all my stuff outside. I just put a tarp down to keep the screens from getting grass and dirt on them but no the most ideal set up. I would like to have some sort of wash out booth in the back yard that can stay outside. I would still have to drag the pressure washer and stuff out but at least I would have an actual booth, or a makeshift one for now.

Keep in mind I am not real saavy when it comes to constructing anything, etc. so something as simple as possible is ideal or at least with good instructions. :) And of course as inexpensive as possible as well.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Ideas for an outside temporary washout booth???

Post by Catspit Productions »

Well I don’t know how doable this would be for you but I have worked at some shops where they use an old bath tub shower stall combination made from fiberglass. So if you can find a very cheap one or perhaps a used one somehow you can put it on to of some make shift legs to raise it to waist level. Then you’ll need to build a screen holder to sit in the tub and raise the screens up some.

The drain can be attached to piping or left to drain outside or in a bucket to catch any solid wastes. I have even seen people cut a square hole in the back part of the shower stall and install a piece of white Plexiglas with back lighting. It worked pretty well.

But I have to admit I do not know how much a new cheap one would be or where and if you could find a used one.

Or a plastic wash sink with legs could be used and then you can fabricate a frame to hold some heavy clear plastic to create a “stall” to catch the water spray and drain it into the sink basin. You would let the heavy clear plastic hang inside the sink off of the frame you build. The frame could sit inside the sink as well if it is big enough. I have seen this done with wood.

It’s just food for thought for anyone who wanted to sort of make their own washout booth.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

Not sure how or what to do about some sort of shelf to raise the screen...i might just stick with the way I am doing it though getting the screens more to my level is appealing than down on the ground...
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Well you could just prop them up on an old table or other object that will raise them to waist level. That would keep them off the ground at least. Maybe a couple of saw horses with a jig top for screens.

You could use almost anything to do that and simply modify your current system so you won’t need a tarp anymore. That could make things easier for you.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Yep, plastic sawhorses with a plexiglass top would work. Rustproof and cheap. You could drill small holes in the plexiglass to allow drainage. Also it would be easy to rig a screen stand with blocks of plastic. Cut wide grooves into 2 pieces of thick plastic (long, rectangular, thick pieces) and glue them onto the top of the plexiglass. That way you keep your screen out of any standing water and you can prop them up against the "booth" without them slipping. I hope it makes sense.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Leadfoot
Master Screen Printer

Post by Leadfoot »

Thanks for the ideas...I guess cinder blocks with a board across or something would probably work as well...
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Leadfoot wrote:Thanks for the ideas...I guess cinder blocks with a board across or something would probably work as well...
LOL... yes it would. Leave it to us guys to over think things. :lol:
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Catspit Productions wrote:
Leadfoot wrote:Thanks for the ideas...I guess cinder blocks with a board across or something would probably work as well...
LOL... yes it would. Leave it to us guys to over think things. :lol:
Hahaha.....So true. We analyze and look at things from many different angles.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC