New Printer: Pricing Jobs?

This is the place to talk about what it takes to get started. This would include what equipment to buy, space requirements, electrical needs and anything related to getting ready to begin screen printing. Have a question regarding what it takes to screen print tee shirts? Please post them here...

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

HeroZero

New Printer: Pricing Jobs?

Post by HeroZero »

Hello Jonathan. Thanks for the great info and support materials. You are a saint!

I am wondering how you price a job for a client?

Set up fees, price per shirt, etc.

I hope you can help me with this information.

Love what you do and really appreciate your educational info. You inspire me!

Kennedy
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: New Printer: Pricing Jobs?

Post by Catspit Productions »

Thank you I’m glad I can be of assistance to you. I appreciate your watching my videos and visiting the website. Thanks for signing up to the forum and posting your question.

Pricing for jobs can vary greatly by region. For instance the pricing I have in Phoenix is lower than the pricing my brother uses in New York. But you can see all my pricing and general policies here if you want to take a look at my pricing guide on a Gildan 5000 short sleeve tee shirt.

http://www.catspitproductionsllc.com/sc ... vices.html

That might help you out some but ultimately you will have to get the feel for what existing screen printers are charging for the same working your town. Good luck and feel free to ask further questions.

Anyone else with pricing advice to add? :)
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
BoydRiver
Senior Screen Printer

Post by BoydRiver »

I have a question not an opinion.

I looked at your price page and assumed that the figures include the basic t-shirt, or is that on top please?
Regards
Boyd River
HeroZero

Post by HeroZero »

Thanks, Jonathan! You rock!
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

My very first screen printing job by my self was 2000 towels of 20cms x 20cms with one color printing of 12cms x 12cms, and it became my ink price "base" in order to know how much $ I will charge for different print sizes and numbers of colors, so I managed to do a price format in excel, where I fill in with thenumber of t shirts, then the number of screens, charging an standart prince for every screen the job needs, then the size of the print, for ex one print of 10cms x 10cms I multiply it to get the square centimeters=100cms (thats what i fill in on my format) if there are 2 printings of the same size for ex 2 colors I should fill in with 200cms(square) <- Iwould double this quantity if is about white inks or HO inks over dark colored tees, then I fill in the design cost, for ex if the client sends me his vectors I should no charge nothing but the positives cost, but if he needs me to vectorize or design what he wants, I should charge some extra $ for that (that is up to you) and at last I fill in the T shirt cost and bingo, I have the price of the work, It has been of BIG BIG BIG help, I knew because I worked without this format like a pair of months, and when I got it done, I managed to quote the most importants Jobs I´ve done for those months and gave me the correct price, so I knew then when I´ve wrong priced my clients or when I did well, actually in latinoamerica there is a program, mostly like the format I´ve just talked about, I don´t know for sure its name or its price, my wife does but she is sleeping right now jajaja, so I will ask her tomoroow and I´ll post it, so don´t worry HeroZero, here you will find always an answer, that´s what CATSPIT Foum is about ;)

I hope this could help anyone, but the more you dig into screen printing, the more you´ll know about how to pricing your Job, just make sure not getting loses from pricing in the very begining , take note about the number of screens, the design, the ammount of ink and most important, the time in hours the job will take you, and you will do it fine!

Hey Jon I haven´t seen your pricing list before! it looks great, I mean is crystal buddy, all those things about the changes, color changes, etc, are very important things! sure I´ll take some ideas from it!! ;)

see you guys!
see you Jon!
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

boydriver wrote:I have a question not an opinion.

I looked at your price page and assumed that the figures include the basic t-shirt, or is that on top please?
Yes, my pricing includes the Gildan 5000 standard 100% cotton short sleeve tee shirt.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

Catspit Productions
Site Admin

HeroZero wrote:Thanks, Jonathan! You rock!
It's my pleasure and it makes me happy to know I can help in some way. And you ROCK for supporting Catspit Productions online... :D
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

Catspit Productions
Site Admin

ppdlao wrote:My very first screen printing job by my self was 2000 towels of 20cms x 20cms with one color printing of 12cms x 12cms, and it became my ink price "base" in order to know how much $ I will charge for different print sizes and numbers of colors, so I managed to do a price format in excel, where I fill in with thenumber of t shirts, then the number of screens, charging an standart prince for every screen the job needs, then the size of the print, for ex one print of 10cms x 10cms I multiply it to get the square centimeters=100cms (thats what i fill in on my format) if there are 2 printings of the same size for ex 2 colors I should fill in with 200cms(square) <- Iwould double this quantity if is about white inks or HO inks over dark colored tees, then I fill in the design cost, for ex if the client sends me his vectors I should no charge nothing but the positives cost, but if he needs me to vectorize or design what he wants, I should charge some extra $ for that (that is up to you) and at last I fill in the T shirt cost and bingo, I have the price of the work, It has been of BIG BIG BIG help, I knew because I worked without this format like a pair of months, and when I got it done, I managed to quote the most importants Jobs I´ve done for those months and gave me the correct price, so I knew then when I´ve wrong priced my clients or when I did well, actually in latinoamerica there is a program, mostly like the format I´ve just talked about, I don´t know for sure its name or its price, my wife does but she is sleeping right now jajaja, so I will ask her tomoroow and I´ll post it, so don´t worry HeroZero, here you will find always an answer, that´s what CATSPIT Foum is about ;)

I hope this could help anyone, but the more you dig into screen printing, the more you´ll know about how to pricing your Job, just make sure not getting loses from pricing in the very begining , take note about the number of screens, the design, the ammount of ink and most important, the time in hours the job will take you, and you will do it fine!

Hey Jon I haven´t seen your pricing list before! it looks great, I mean is crystal buddy, all those things about the changes, color changes, etc, are very important things! sure I´ll take some ideas from it!! ;)

see you guys!
see you Jon!

ppdlao,

Thanks so much for your input and you bring up a good point about the cost of the ink you use. Calculating that into your pricing like you describe is very detailed and could be of help especially to those jobs which require large prints. I’d love to hear more about your formula.

My pricing is pretty much based on my years of experience working with plastisol inks. They can go a long way when used properly. The market in my region also makes me have to stay within a certain price range regardless of anything else to be competitive. So in the end I have to always try to use as little consumables as possible with every job. That would probably be a good general rule in any shop to keep profit margins high.

And yeah, the more time a job takes to print, the less you make per hour so that is also a great consideration.

Nice thoughts on this topic. You should respond to more questions…

;)
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

BoydRiver
Senior Screen Printer

Post by BoydRiver »

ppdlao wrote:My very first screen printing job by my self was 2000 towels of 20cms x 20cms with one color printing of 12cms x 12cms, !
You just have to do a separate thread about doing this job ppdlao, I think towels would be very hard to do because they are not a flat weaved material.
I am sure Jonathan would not object.
Regards
Boyd River
ppdlao
Master Screen Printer

Post by ppdlao »

boydriver wrote:
ppdlao wrote:My very first screen printing job by my self was 2000 towels of 20cms x 20cms with one color printing of 12cms x 12cms, !
You just have to do a separate thread about doing this job ppdlao, I think towels would be very hard to do because they are not a flat weaved material.
I am sure Jonathan would not object.
Hi boydriver, I said towels just because of its shapes (20cmx x 20cms) but in fact they were made for our local baseball team, they had the first game of the Mexican Baseball League Season on past March here in town and we printed 2000 "towels" for them, for their fans to wave them and suporting their team during the game, so the fabric wasn´t of common towels, they were total "flat" shape like the tees, so I used Plastisol ink, this fabric is called "Tergal Stretch" here in México, and this fabric is more like the one used on flags, kind of that. And I used this job as pricing model because of its ink consumption allowed me to know exactly how much ink per square cms do I spend.

About real towels, I´ve done those jobs too (not my self, I´ve startedscreen printing by my self just on past March with the 2000 baseball team towels) but we used water base ink for that (the normal towels), because of the print contact with the skin when using those towels, but I think is pretty much the same, well, talking about a light colored garment and 1 or 2 colors printing, but it always depends on the design complexity, of course complicated jobs will cost more, it´s all about the time the job will take you. and always working with water base inks gets more complicated, it needs you to get more focused on every technical aspect of the Job, you´re right on that, printing towels is more complicated that printing other garments and gets more difficult yet for us that have just started screen printing, because of the water base ink.

see you boydriver thnks for your comment, I should wrote about those "towels" fabric, someone could get confused, I hope I could explain my self jejeje