White Base Choke

Anything and everything to do with creating artwork for screen printing. This is where you can discuss graphic software and color separating techniques plus much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

CrownAvenueCLT
Screen Trooper

White Base Choke

Post by CrownAvenueCLT »

I've been printing a lot of white base jobs lately and I was wondering what is a good amount to choke the base?

I have noticed that using .75 pt as a choke is really hard to register on the press but anything larger than that causes the layer of ink covering the white base to be printed on the dark garment and it causes a weird discolored outline.

Any tips?
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: White Base Choke

Post by Catspit Productions »

It's really whatever your comfortable with. If the .75 is as far as you want to go for aesthetic reasons then that's about it. I don't choke the under base much these days as I try to print the least amount of ink for my white under base. I like it to have a smooth surface as well so I might use a higher mesh count than others. Then the colors I lay down generously and they bleed out more naturally than the white. Since the colors tend to be thinner than the white and such they naturally bleed over the white for me a lot.

You can also wipe down the back of the white printer as it too bleeds out at the edges keeping it tight and clean throughout the print run.

Your press can make or break you when it comes to registration and keeping it.

It's just one of those things I think where you as the printer have to find the best scenario for your art and printing style. You have to figure out what is the easiest for you as far as the printing goes but still is acceptable to you and your customer.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions