Need software advise

Anything and everything to do with creating artwork for screen printing. This is where you can discuss graphic software and color separating techniques plus much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

adelrie

Need software advise

Post by adelrie »

We have recently bought out a screen printing operation and the software that was with it was CorelDraw x3 with x4 upgrade software. The trouble is that the serial #s to activate it are missing. I know there are several updated versions. I am pretty computer literate and use Photoshop already with my pictures, what software would you recommend since we are going to have to purchase a new program? Also, what RIP software would be suggested? I have watched many of the videos already and know an Epson printer is recommended but what is the difference for the printing process between the 1400 and the 1430? We are excited about getting started but also know that there is a large learning curve to navigate. We just want to start out on the right track.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Need software advise

Post by ApeShirt »

I have CorelDRAW X5 and AccuRIP. I'm hoping to upgrade to X7 if I hear enough good things about it. The videos I've seen show some nice new features. I have the Epson 1400 as well. I think there really isn't a functional difference from 1400 to 1430. 1430 is just the new model I believe.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
ncpawprinter

Post by ncpawprinter »

I'm in the same boat. I know a lot of people use Correl but I have never used it. I've been doing quite well with Adobe but really need a newer version to get more functions out of it. The Epson 1400 works great with Accurip. I'm not sure if the 1430 is the larger format print or not but if I were to do it over again, I'd go with the largest print I could. My 2 cents.
drew
Senior Screen Printer

Post by drew »

I use Accurip, Epson 1400/1430 printer and Corel Draw X6. Think they are pretty much standard now. They do work great together.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

I use Adobe Illustrator with Filmaker 4 RIP. AI is actually very, very powerful and it is a complete print output system capable of automatic color separations and CMYK processes. It can be a little more difficult to learn than Corel. The cool thing about Corel is it can open pretty much any vector file including AI files. AI cannot open anything but the same version of AI files and PDF’s. It can also open generic EPS files but Corel kicks butt for opening strange vector file types in my experience. I actually have both AI and Corel ;)

Epson dominates the market for inkjet printers making film positives for screenprinting. They don’t really seem to be aware of this but I recommend Epson and DO NOT use an all in one printer for film positives. The 1400 and 1430 are basically the same. The 1430 replaced the 1400. Either will work just as well I believe. Your inkjet printer should be dedicated for artwork and film positives only. You can get sheet feeders which go up to 13 by 19 inch sheets or roll film which can handle bigger pieces of artwork. Inkjet printers that handle roll film are generally bigger and tend to cost more. Dye based inkjet inks tend to work best on water proof inkjet films whereas pigment inks work well but may not be as dense. Personally I use the stock pigment based inks with the Catspit water proof inkjet films and it works fine. I still use my inkjet printer for full color proofs to size as well as film so I do not use an all black system. I may set one up soon as I have some new plans for Catspit this summer.

The Cat is getting wrestles :)
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions