Prints from transfers coming off

Here is the place to post on topics related to screen printed plastisol transfers, papers and adhesive powders. Methods of printing and semi curing would be appropriate here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

WW4U

Prints from transfers coming off

Post by WW4U »

I have done plastisol prints on cotton and polyester shirts of various colours using transfers screenprinted by me on transfer paper obtained from my screenprinting products supplier. These prints are coming off the garments to varying degrees over a period of 6+ months. I use adhesive powder on all prints.

The prints are sort of fading away as the ink comes off. The vast majority of the prints I have done have not been reported as coming off, it seems to be certain batches of various colours, so no obvious link to any ink colour or fabric type.

I think I have applied sufficient heat and pressure during the ironing process - about 160+ C and 12+ seconds. My supplier lists semi-curing as a possible cause. Very often when there is no urgency with the product being collected, I leave the transfers on shelves to semi-cure overnight or over a few days, instead of using the oven at about 100 C. I don't have records that could relate the semi-curing method (number of days left to cure or using the oven) with the prints coming off.

I guess my question is what the most sure-fire method of semi-curing is to avoid this fading from happening and whether I should be investigating other possible causes.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Prints from transfers coming off

Post by ApeShirt »

When I print transfers I semi-cure under a flash dryer after adding adhesive powder. Just long enough to dry the ink to the touch. Letting them "air dry" won't cure, or semi-cure, plastisol ink. Also increase your temp. I'd go at least 170 Celsius. Heat press temp can vary a little bit so increasing the temp will compensate for low variances. I'd actually go to 180-195 C for 15-20 seconds. Maybe increase the dwell time a little bit if you still have issues. Be sure you use medium-heavy pressure with the heat press.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

I think I would agree with Greg 100% here.

Thanks Greg!
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
WW4U

Post by WW4U »

Thanks for that, fellas. Much appreciated.

I have tried the flash drier between colours - about 5 to 6 seconds at about 3 inches separation, but I still had smudging, so I switched to the conveyor drier. How long do you have it under the flash drier and what separation for semi-curing? In some cases it would be easier and cheaper on electricity if I could get that to work properly.

Cheers

Matt
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

I used to use a belt dryer for single colors and final semi cure as well and set it specifically for what I was doing. But I do not have any standard times or distances from the flash cure unit when doing a multi color on press. A flash cure will vary in temp anyway. But as I recall I used to do the adjustments for each job as needed. I never had any issues. However I do suggest direct printing wherever possible. If you're the printer why print transfers and double the work? Unless you're doing POS and do not want to commit garments to any given design unit it sells. Then I understand.

Greg probably would have some specific tips for you on this. I honestly haven't printed plastisol transfers in many years so I wouldn't even recall specifics that well for you ... LOL.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

Specifics vary. It basically depends on your flash dryer and how many layers of ink. It'll take a little experimenting to dial it in. I would suggest maybe just adding a couple more seconds. Use a temp gun and make sure it doesn't reach more than 280 degrees F (133 C). That should be enough for most transfers.
Transfers have their place. I do some for my promo shirts. I also do them for customers who have only a heat press and their own clothing line. I also do them for customers who "think" they may need a few more shirts in the future. Of course I charge accordingly for that. Let's say they want 15 shirts now but they may need 5 more later. I'll charge my standard fee for the initial order and then the cost for the transfers and $5 more (plus cost of shirt) to press any additional shirts. I try to save my customers money in these situations. But if they do need the additional shirts I actually have a larger profit margin. If they don't need the additional shirts then they save money by paying for only the transfers and not shirts.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
WW4U

Post by WW4U »

Thanks very much for that, fellas.

Apologies for my late response - haven't been into the site since my last posting. I get the point about direct on garment printing, but being inexperienced (having bought a going concern and having had stuff-ups on garments), I thought transfers would be less risk, which justifies the additional time & cost. I am finding out that transfers could actually be more risk and that I should perhaps be changing my ways. Transfers are probably the way to go when one can fit several copies of a design on one screen.

Amazing display by that fella making the 9-colour transfers (also on this forum). I reckon he has earned the title of Maestro.

Cheers

Matt