Rapid plastisol transfers in the garage...

Here is the place to post on topics related to screen printed plastisol transfers, papers and adhesive powders. Methods of printing and semi curing would be appropriate here.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

tomwalker55

Rapid plastisol transfers in the garage...

Post by tomwalker55 »

OK - Here goes: I am looking to bang out a large number of designs, with a few transfers each. This is how I will test market a PILE of new designs.

'In the garage' means no washout - we will simply toss the screens. The idea is to test market and if something sells then we'll get a company to make piles of transfers. (I do that already on our popular designs.) We are not going to set up a shop to give this a go...

We are very short on equipment and short on cash so we want to make do. Here is the 'formula' I am thinking of - and feedback is most welcome!

- Do one color sheets only to start with
- gel cure using the heat press - set the press to about 260 - 280, put the sheet in a purpose made tray and hold the tray under the heat plate for an exact time
- use vinyl from my plotter melted into mesh for the stencils (this works well for shirts, by the way - no emulsion, exposure, no washout.) Screens = made fast.
- do very fast stretching with wood frames, staples and tape, as these only have to hold up for a dozen sheets and will get thrown out

I am NOT an experienced screen printer and do not have a shop - but I will have an experienced helper. (My helper is someone who has done a bunch of screen printing. but they don't have experience making transfers...)

SO - Specific nudges about technique are welcome, and whether to use powder or get a premixed ink, what paper is great, etc and even what mesh/blade to use would be really appreciated! Worst case, I have seen some vids of folks doing this and we'll just go do it, use powder as a default and start it up. But would love to hear from folks who have done this...

Thanks