Guidelines for Disposing of "Water Waste" in Garage Setup

This section should relate directly to the Catspit Screen Printing Forum or to general questions that do not seem to fit other categories. Feel free to post anything here that does not fit into any other category.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

sbrown
Screen Trooper

Guidelines for Disposing of "Water Waste" in Garage Setup

Post by sbrown »

Hi!
Ive been accruing screen printing gear now for the last 4 years or so, slowly but surely, so that I can start printing my designs as a side gig to make a few extra bucks (Ive been a freelance graphic designer for almost a decade now and have always wanted to screen my own designs ever since I took a class in high school back in the day)...

Anyways, one my largest concerns and still a very foggy area that needs some professional advice on is how to properly dispose of the water waste that comes into my booth from spraying out emulsion and cleaning screens. I have a very basic set up that is housed in my garage. The typical "starter kit"... and I purchased a cheap utility sink along with some 5 gallon buckets to spray out my screens in the garage.

What Id like to know though, is - what the heck can I do with this water once I got it contained in my 5 gallon buckets? If I were to dump it down the drain, would it damage our homes plumbing? Also, how volatile is the water waste from emulsion? I understand Plastisol is definitely bad and needs to be separated and filtered out of the water first, but even in that case - once its filtered can I just dump it down the sink? Do I need to contact a disposal company to pick this stuff up?

Im a pretty health conscious guy, and would prefer not damaging the environment or my own families health so Im really looking for the best possible way to handle the disposal of this waste from my own home on a very low-to-no-budget setup basically.

*I should also note, that I am looking to move into water based inks later on, but want to use up the plastisols for the time being first that came with the kit as to not waste them*

Thanks for your time,
Shaun
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Guidelines for Disposing of "Water Waste" in Garage Setu

Post by Catspit Productions »

Usually we set up a filtration system under our washout sink that will remove solid particulates from the inks and emulsions. Then the chemicals we use are either environmental or "drain safe." There is a big difference and remember that it's not necessarily what you use, its how you use it. Water based inks are not necessarily more eco friendly especially if they are not handled properly. In fact in some cases water based inks pose a greater disposal problem than that of plastisol. Plastisol inks can be filtered in the washout booth or disposed of as a solid waste after you fully cure them. So plastisol waste ink can be wiped on rags, cured and disposed of in normal waste. It simply has to be fully cured and it's fine.

This is the filtration system I have set up:

Drain safe means the chemicals are know to be able to be removed with the current city water treatment systems and this is almost always California rated drain safe. CA has some of the roughest environmental regulations in the country. Environmental would mean they are biodegradable and/or user friendly.

Always check with local and State regulations if you are concerned with anything.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
sbrown
Screen Trooper

Post by sbrown »

Thanks for the info. Ive watched your video on this a while back when you put it out... Clearly that would be ideal, I do not however have the funds for such a filtration system.... best I could do at this point is place a strainer on top of a 5 gallon bucket and catch the bulk of the solids... not sure if that is sufficient enough though.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Right, I understand that you have a limited budget. But the principle here could be copied and you could use the same media filter paper. So you may be able to build your own version with what you have available but using the same filter media at least so it will remove the correct size particulates.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

sbrown
Screen Trooper

Post by sbrown »

Good deal. So I presume using NO FILTER is a violation, especially out here where I live in Cali then? Just want to make sure I understand how to properly dispose of this stuff so that I didnt buy all this gear in vain. I feel like, as much as Im still very ambitious to screen my own shirts up, the more I learn about disposal - the more I feel less inclined to persue continuing down this road sadly. A lot of the screen printing gear sold on websites never really touches on this critical part of the process, yet the parts are still sold to DIY'rs whom, like myself naively think you can just get set up and running in no time at home with no issue. (this isnt directed at your company FYI, I actually purchased my press long ago from a different company, but I feel the marketing is confusing and something that I wish I had researched more thoroughly in retrospect. Maybe Im wrong though, I hope I am. I really would still like to make this happen at home since that was the entire goal all along. Im not really trying to open up a business and rent a space or something...
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

It's not really as bad as you may think especially on a city water treatment system. Most of the chemicals and supplies we sue today are pretty benign but we want to filter out as much as possible to be environmental. California has the strictest laws concerning this yet there are thousands of print shops there operating legally and making a profit.

Also don't forget that on a hobby level, you likely do not meet requirements for strict protocol. Meaning most cities consider hobbyist printing to be of such little impact they allow it and ignore it in most cases. It's only when you reach a commercial level of printing that you need to be sure you're up to code. That's not to say you shouldn't be environmental but I'm just saying you can print at home and be compliant.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

sbrown
Screen Trooper

Post by sbrown »

Thanks for your time Jonathan. I definitely want to strive for the most minimal impact possible regardless of the size of my shop. Im also concerned however about what may happen to my own plumbing if I do dump that waste in my home. Is it even safe to do that in your home, or can it degrade or break down your plumbing at all? Also, will stuff like the emulsion discolor the basin of a sink? Would it be preferable to dump it down the toilet? Im almost thinking itd be a better choice to just transport the 5 gallon buckets to a company that can dump them for me after their full, but I dont know if such a place even exists. Ive been to the hazardous waste drop off in my city once, but that was for things like TVs and Paint, etc... I dont think they take water waste.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

You're welcome.

You need a washout booth for screen making. It will get dirty and stained by all the chemicals, inks and emulsions. None of the chemicals will hurt your plumbing. But you never want to pour liquid emulsion down a drain.

If you're so very concerned then yes, I would put the waste water in buckets and dispose of it at a haz mat recycling center. You will likely have to pay a fee though. It's a service you should be able to get if you're anywhere near a city. Like when the guy comes and takes waste oil from the mechanic. There should be services for waste chemicals.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC

sbrown
Screen Trooper

Post by sbrown »

Oh ok, so it "technically" is considered a "hazardous waste" then.. I figured as much but was a little confused about that part as well.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Not necessarily. There are only a couple of chemicals that are actually labeled as "haz mat" which need to be treated as such. But in your case if you are so very concerned then take no chances. Most all of the screen printing chemicals used today will either be "drain safe" or environmental. But neither means you can pour it on your lawn and NOT see any grass die. Follow?

So while they may not be considered hazardous materials, there are proper ways of disposing of said chemicals.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC