The dreaded thick print...how would YOU have done this job differently?

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

reactiongfx
Screen Trooper

The dreaded thick print...how would YOU have done this job differently?

Post by reactiongfx »

Whenever I have to do an underbase, I always end up with a thick print. For this particular job, the final prints look great, just a bit thick. Not a huge deal on regular t-shirts, but I also have to do some women's Next Level tanks and v-necks with a smaller version of the same design, but those shirts are so light I'm worried about the thick print. How can I address this?? Any input is appreciated. Here is exactly what I did from start to finish...

Screens: Using brand new 180 mesh screens for all three colors. Kiwo Poly Plus SWR diazo emulsion. 2 coats print side, 1 coat ink well side.

Inks: One-Stroke Hybrid white for the base (LOVE this white for most applications), Union Ultrasoft Bright Red and Royal Blue for the top colors.

Print Process: White base - print/flash/print. I do a hard fill stroke (not a FLOOD stroke, just enough ink to fill the stencil) and then print with a push stroke. One medium stroke, flash, then a second light coat just to get a nice, opaque white. Then I flash again, print the red, flash and print the blue. I tried one printing the blue without flashing the red, but I've never had much luck with wet-on-wet as it seems too much ink sticks to the bottom of the next screen and the end results are less than desirable. I know if I flash it for a few seconds this isn't a problem. Since the red and blue are Ultrasoft inks and a pretty thin consistency, I really don't think they are contributing much to the thickness of the print. It's that darn white base coat.

Like I said, the end results LOOK great, they just don't FEEL ideal. Is it just the nature of the beast for a design like this on dark shirts? Is my stencil too thick? Should I maybe try reducing my white just a bit? I really strive for a soft hand and thin print that is comfortable to wear in all conditions, but sometimes I just can't seem to get it. Any and all input is very much appreciated!! THANK YOU!!

(Sorry if the pic is sideways...I don't have time to mess around trying to figure that one out...)
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: The dreaded thick print...how would YOU have done this job differently?

Post by Catspit Productions »

Unfortunately this can be the nature of the beast when printing plastisol inks on dark garments. It's always best to design the art for the specific application. But when we can't then we can only do so much. The design you have is patchy and "blocky" in that there is a big open area of solid white and colors. The only way to make this feel thinner is to print it in a distressed fashion using a much lower volume of ink. Of course that sacrifices color intensity for a softer feel.

OR you can redesign the art to have some of the shirt show through in strategic places which will make it feel much softer. Using halftones and other things as suggested in this video can help:

Breaking up the design and allowing as much shirt to show through while printing a lower volume of ink is key to achieving softer plastisol screen prints.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions