Knockout Issues

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

CrownAvenueCLT
Screen Trooper

Knockout Issues

Post by CrownAvenueCLT »

What tips do you guys have for knockout printing?

This is one of the bad prints from my last batch.. I want to know how I can perfectly squeeze white in between these red gaps. My guess is that I should have underbased the entire red bar and then used a highlight white on top.

But still, if I were to use a highlight white, how do I get things to print in the correct spot and prevent this color change. (It looks like it bled together)
Attachments
IMG_3652.PNG.png
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Knockout Issues

Post by Catspit Productions »

You could possibly print the red, flash it and then print the white so it over prints the bit of red. If you don't want to remake screens. Otherwise you'll need to allow a half a line point or less of space between colors to help prevent the bleeding. But yes, a complete white under base with the red on top would also work and depending you may or may not have to use a white highlight printer. It may look fine without a highlight printer.

You can also wipe down the red screen after a few prints to keep it from bleeding so much. It will also keep the print much clearer and crisp. This looks like a combination of normal bleed over and some stencil drag. Perhaps a more open mesh count would allow a print stroke with less pressure which in turn will reduce stencil drag. Not sure though as it could appear that there is a registration issue with the red that is over printing the left side of the "E." Normally stencil drag will be on the top or bottom of artwork and maybe not so visible on the sides which are vertical in alignment with the print stoke.

But this could be solved with playing with print order, flashing and experimenting with your flood and stroke. Maybe even pulling the red would solve it.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions