Learning Curve Progress

This is the section concerning all things that relate to printing on press. Topics may include but are not limited to loading the pallets, screen set up, registration problems, squeegee durometer, how to screen print using an automatic, manual rotary press or fixed station presses and general trouble shooting on any print job.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

nekkron99
Squeegee Master

Learning Curve Progress

Post by nekkron99 »

I didn't want to continue to thread hijack the Screen Printing Issues topic, so I am starting a new thread. I'm very new to screen printing. I have a 4 color, 2 station Ranar coming from Catspit soon. In the meantime I picked up a cheapy single color press made by Rincon for $140 so I could get some practice in before the Capspit special arrives :D .

The learning curve has been steep. More so than I thought it would be. Here are a couple of pics of early trials using blue plastisol on darker colors without a white base.
First run of tests
First run of tests
Uneven coverage. Lots of black showing through.
Uneven coverage. Lots of black showing through.
This was after messing with off contact a bit and trying it on white.
Off contact adjusted and also printed on white substrate.
Off contact adjusted and also printed on white substrate.
And finally last night I raised the off contact a bit more. This time the width of a piece of corrugated plastic for a sign. Also did a hit, flash, hit, flash, hit lol. Lots of hits, but it worked! I think so anyway. Got a bit of ghosting near the "C" though. But I'm super happy with the coverage.
H-F-H-F-H
H-F-H-F-H
Slowly but surely getting there with the technique. Screen printing truly is a technical skill and an art at the same time.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Learning Curve Progress

Post by Catspit Productions »

Very true. Screen printing is first a technical equation. A science. But secondly it is an art and a skill.

Generally speaking less off contact is desirable. If it is too high it can cause problems.

Nice progress and very cool thread. Nice to see someone document their learning curve ;)
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
nekkron99
Squeegee Master

Post by nekkron99 »

Thanks! I found that the more off contact I gave it, the better the result I was getting. Perhaps it's the dinky press I have. I'm sure my off contact settings will be different once my Ranar gets here. Gonna have to zero that one in as I'm sure it'll be much different. I'm glad I have the dinky one though, that way I can learn with frustration so that when I get a better piece of equipment, I can appreciate the quality upgrade lol.
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Post by ApeShirt »

While the higher off-contact may have seemed to do the trick, it is exactly that. A trick. Higher off-contact will generally cause more issues than solutions. Your issue could also have to do with your stroke (angle, pressure), mesh or other things as well.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC