Ink Stains and Ghost Images on Screen

This section is all about how to reclaim screens by removing the stencil with emulsion remover. Topics include working with emulsion removers, pressure washers, trouble shooting and waste disposal concerns.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

JayKey

Ink Stains and Ghost Images on Screen

Post by JayKey »

Hi

I am new to screen printintg. I love the forum and educationsal videos they have been a real inspiration and motivation.

I have two related problems

I have just used a green plastasol ( union) ink. I have just cleaned my screen in order to reclaim.

This is the first time this has happened but the ink has stained the screen. I was using a dark (kelly) green. The ink has completly washed of the screen. However the stencil part has stained a lighter shade of the green. I have used extra screen wash, scrubbed the screen and power washed it. Yet the green stain remains.

I have never come across this before. But up until now have only used Black and white plastasol inks.

The other problem I have had is this

On washing out my screen (black ink this time) The photo emultion has blown out on parts of the stencil. I washed out using a preasure washer. is to much preasure making the photo emultion blow out? or is it a bad photo emultion issue. The emultion was fine on exposure. But on wash out it has flaked and blown out of the screen very easily.

I have another question reagrding ghosting but will post this is in the rellevant forum.

Any help is welcome. Thank you

Jay
ApeShirt
Master Screen Printer

Re: Ink Stains and Ghost Images on Screen

Post by ApeShirt »

Get yourself a good haze remover to take care of the ghosting issue. Most times having some ghosting left behind won't affect printing though. Sometimes it can as there is a buildup of ink left behing and is blocking the mesh. Jonathon sells a good one, RhinoTech's HRG2400.
As far as the stencil blowing out. You are most likely under exposing the screen. Expose it a little longer. An exposure calculator would definitely help you dial in your times. I use a pressure washer to wash out my screens and rarely have an issue. I do it with halftones as well. Just fan it out and don't get too close to the screen. Some people use just a garden hose with a sprayer.
Greg
If you're not going to go all the way then why bother going at all.
ApeShirt Apparel Printing, LLC
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: Ink Stains and Ghost Images on Screen

Post by Catspit Productions »

Yup I agree, use a haze remover and a pressure washer to remove ink stains in the mesh.

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/haze-remover/

But for washing out the stencil do not use the pressure washer. Some people do use the pressure washer for this like Greg but I do not. Try a garden hose with cool tap water and a spray nozzle. That is all you should need if you have a good film positive with the right exposure.

This video could help as well:

Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions