Need Emulsion Recommendation

Here you can discuss any issues related to working with water based screen printing inks. This would include curing, heat setting, mixing colors, additives, brands, usages and much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

hxxrmonkey

Need Emulsion Recommendation

Post by hxxrmonkey »

Thanks for all your helpful videos, you are the best teacher!

Here's the situation. I'm screen printing fabric yardage in my apartment. Not t-shirts. I'm using Permaset water-based inks. So far so good.

First question - I'm using RXP dual cure emulsion. I'm pretty sure this is the wrong thing to use. Anyway, even though I used a scoop coater, and have done so successfully in the past, my first run with the RXP was too thick, and it dripped in my rack so the screens were unusable. I went to reclaim without exposure. *dun dun duuuuun!* So basically I reclaimed, and all was fine, scrubbed off, but then as soon as water hit the emulsion went all gummy and rolled up into tiny sticky pieces all over my screen. It was horrible. I'm thinking this is because it wasn't exposed, and it won't happen on exposed screens going forward, yes? I have a quart of the stuff, I want to use it up!

Which leads me to my next question. I don't have access to a power washer or a hose :( but I've been using a high pressure shower head which seems to do the job ok in almost all cases. The problem is the Diazo stains my tub!!! I can't keep using it like this! So 1) Is there some chemical that will remove the diazo stain from plastic, and 2) I need a recommendation for an emulsion that is drain safe, doesn't dye everything it touches, works for water-based inks, and can be washed out with moderate water pressure. I've looked at Saati Chem and the other Ryo and Ulaani offerings but I'm just so confused. I'm thinking the stuff that is pre-sensitized maybe doesn't have the dye in it and would work better? But is it ok for water-based inks?

Thanks in advance!!!
Sarah
hxxrmonkey

Re: Need Emulsion Recommendation

Post by hxxrmonkey »

BTW bleach just turns the diazo brown, doesn't remove it.
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

Hello Sarah and thanks for watching my videos. I appreciate the kind words.

The unexposed emulsions should have been completely water proof. Cheaper diazo emulsions may not be the best to work with as beginner. A good photopolymer would do you justice and be much easier to expose and reclaim. But there are no emulsions with ALL of the characteristics that you want as described in your post.

1) Is there some chemical that will remove the diazo stain from plastic?

- Not that I know of. This could be something other home printers may know more about. I have never had the need to clean out emulsion stains like that.

2) I need a recommendation for an emulsion that is drain safe, doesn't dye everything it touches, works for water-based inks, and can be washed out with moderate water pressure.

- Photopolymer and dual cure emulsions are not hazardous materials and may be washed down drains attached to city water treatment systems. But it can be like Elmer’s glue so over long periods of time it can clog pipes.

- Most textile emulsions have dyes that will stain to some degree. Maybe a benign blue color would be best.

- All emulsions will reclaim best with a pressure washer. Emulsion can absorb chemicals and inks which will make them more difficult to reclaim. A pressure washer also helps move the mesh fibers and gets stains out of the mesh.

There are some emulsions available without dyes but you may not like that so much. The reason there is dye in the emulsion is so you can see the stencil you burn. Without a dye it will be difficult to see detail like halftones or fine lines when you are washing out the stencil. So there are emulsions that come without the dye added and may come with a choice of dyes or one dye additive.

One that I know if is Saati Textil DW2. They also make a “FAST” version of that emulsion. The dye is included for you to add. Contact me if you want to place an order for this. I’ll either take the order myself or refer you to some help with Saati.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
hxxrmonkey

Post by hxxrmonkey »

Thanks for the response! I actually do ok with the emulsion prior to sensitizing, it's actually the dye in the diazo sensitizer that stains everything, not the pink or blue original emulsion color. If I could get diazo without the yellow/brown dye that would work too, even with pink or blue emulsion. Do you know if diazo is available without the yellow dye added? Maybe the dye is necessary...

Anyway I think I'm going to rig up our unused stall shower with a sheet of vinyl to protect it, then I don't have to worry about the staining and I can use whatever emulsion that meets the other criteria. A makeshift washout booth! I've been thinking about getting the RXP (CCI) hybrid emulsion, but I'll look at the Saati stuff. I honestly thought the Ryo RXP (CCI) emulsion was quality. So should I not be using anything from that particular supplier? What's the deal with their chemicals? I thought they were good?

Under my current constraints a pressure washer just isn't an option. If it means I have to buy screens more often then that's just what I'll have to do. :(

If I decide I want to order the Saati emulsion how should I contact you? Call the business?

Thanks again!
hxxrmonkey

Post by hxxrmonkey »

FYI for anyone in the same boat as me, Soft Scrub with Bleach and a little elbow grease with a scrubby sponge took the diazo stain out of my tub. YAY! Phew!
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Post by Catspit Productions »

You know I don’t know much about the diazo emulsions because they are not often used in today’s commercial realm of screenprinting tee shirts. Dual cures and photopolymers dominate this market. Therefore I am not sure that there is a dye in the sensitizer or if you can get a “clear” sensitizer.

A dual cure or photopolymer will perform much better for you and honestly Saati emulsions will blow away the ones you mentioned in my professional opinion.

If you need help buying some Saati emulsion just give me a call -

http://www.catspitproductionsllc.com/co ... ctions.php

I can take the order direct or I may let you test the shipping calculator on my new ecommerce site.
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
Saati
Instructor

Post by Saati »

Photo polymer emulsions would be my recomendation for your situation due to the fact that they dont contain diazo and are not as prone to staining everything they touch. But they will stain a little (easier to remove than diazo stains). From the Saati Chem side the PHU is a newer product and will handle water based and discharge inks with no problem. For extended use screens and or screen you are going to catalog we still recomend post exposing the product.

As far as wahout I would recomend going to the local hardware store and getting a faucet to hose adaptor. It will screw in place of the aeroator in your bathroom faucet and allow you to screw in a garden hose so you could get a better sprayer for the job.