do I have to heat set my ink when printing on wood?

Here you can discuss any issues related to working with water based screen printing inks. This would include curing, heat setting, mixing colors, additives, brands, usages and much more.

Moderators: Shamax, Leadfoot, ApeShirt, Catspit Productions

jzimm

do I have to heat set my ink when printing on wood?

Post by jzimm »

I have been printing images on wood, some with acrylic or enamel paint. Do I need to do anything like heat setting the ink when it dries?
Catspit Productions
Site Admin

Re: do I have to heat set my ink when printing on wood?

Post by Catspit Productions »

If you are using acrylic and/or enamel paints I would think not. Heating could cause the wood to show discoloring or exaggerate any latent staining. It’s not going to be washed or laundered so the only thing you might want to think about is a clear coating to protect and seal the print. That might help it with durability and adhesion.

Or you might try a regular air dry poster ink which is made for paper. Good poster papers are made from wood pulp. Some will contain rag fibers or cotton. Poster inks normally do well on wood. But I think ultimately you do not need to heat set a print on wood if the ink does not require that to cure and stabilize.

I hope that helps out. Anyone else have experience printing on wooden materials?
Jonathan Monaco
Catspit Productions, LLC
Learn how to screen print tee shirts!

http://catspitscreenprintsupply.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CatspitProductions
she
Screen Trooper

Re: do I have to heat set my ink when printing on wood?

Post by she »

heating it is not really a good idea. mine was washed off.. i use an ink for fabrics, try the Jacquard Neopaque and Lumiere paints,, all i did was to roll it out..
you don't know what you got, until it is gone...
inkjet sales